United Methodist Handbook
Fresh for the quadrennium, the new United Methodist Handbook is ready and available FREE from United Methodist Communications. Packed with denominational details, beliefs, history and contact information, this handbook is a one-stop destination for all things United Methodist. Here are five important pieces of information you can find right here.
- Beliefs and mission: Perfect for welcoming visitors or orienting new members, the handbook details the basic beliefs of the denomination and outlines the Four Areas of Focus—the ways in which United Methodists are making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Structure: The denomination is often referred to as “the connection.” This concept has been central to Methodism from its beginning. In the handbook, you’ll find an illustration that explains this structure and how connectionalism helps us better accomplish mission and ministry goals.
- Glossary: While you might speak fluent United Methodist, visitors and new members might feel out of the loop. Help them decode the most important denominational terms with the glossary section.
- Characteristics of vital congregations: Vital congregations are ones that are growing, engaging and generous in giving. In the handbook, church leadership can find five common characteristics of vital congregations and several steps to encourage United Methodists to address these challenges.
- FAQs: The handbook is just the beginning. Browse the list of frequently asked questions. And if you can’t find the answer to your questions, you will find details and contact information for different boards, councils and commissions who can answer them for you.
- Download the Adobe PDF file or the Zip file for Mac or Windows flash player below.